Public Health Department
"...working to enhance our community's total well-being by promoting healthy lifestyles, protecting health, and preventing disease."
Summary of Services
The Calhoun County Public Health Department (CCPHD) Environmental Health (EH) division protects and promotes public health through licensing, inspection, and enforcement activities. Environmental Health staff address public and environmental health issues including:
- Food service inspection and license processing
- On-site wastewater disposal
- Well water supply installation
- Well and sewage disposal system permit issuance
- Investigation of groundwater quality complaints
The Environmental Health programs offered through CCPHD are listed below.
- Food Protection
- Waste Management
- Water Supply
- Public Swimming Pool Inspections (CDC Healthy Swimming)
- Day Care/Family Day Care, Adult and Child Foster Care/Adoptive Homes
- The Michigan Department of Human Services is the licensing agency. Please contact your licensing consultant to obtain the correct form. Once the form is completed, return to CCPHD, and an inspection appointment will be scheduled. For service costs, refer to the fee schedule.
- If you have any questions, please contact CCPHD or visit the Michigan Department of Human Services
- Radon test kits are available at CCPHD. The test kits available in Environmental Health come with a pre-addressed, pre-stamped mailer and can be purchased for $10 for a short-term test kit or $20 for a long-term test kit. All fees are payable in cash (exact amount) or check. Radon information booklets and pamphlets are also available at CCPHD. Radon test kits are also available at many local hardware stores.
- For information on radon, please visit the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.
Listed below are additional Environmental Health issues that may affect County citizens.
- For more information, visit the following websites:
Protecting Your Private Well In An Emergency
Buried Home Heating Oil Tanks (FAQ)
Click here for a copy of the current Calhoun County sanitation code.