Judge Brian K. Kirkham has been appointed by the Michigan Supreme Court as the Business Court Judge, effective January 1, 2015.
If applicable, the party filing a civil case complaint should provide written notice with the initial pleadings that the case qualifies for the Business Court. The case will then be assigned directly to Judge Kirkham.
A case must be assigned to the Business Court if the amount in controversy is greater than $25,000, AND all or part of the action includes a business or commercial dispute. A business or commercial dispute is any of the following:
- An action in which all of the parties are business enterprises.
- An action in which 1 or more of the parties are business enterprises and the other parties are present or former: Owners, managers, shareholders, members, directors, officers, agents, employees, suppliers, competitors. The claim must arise out of one of the above relationships.
- An action in which 1 of the parties is a nonprofit organization and the claims arise out of that party's organizational structure, governance, or finances.
- An action involving the sale, merger, purchase, combination, dissolution, liquidation, organizational structure, governance, or finances of a business enterprise.
Supreme Court Administrative Office Business Court Resource page
Please assure that civil case filings meeting the definition of a Business Court case are identified as required by MCR 2.112 so that the case is properly assigned.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
Business Court Rulings5 documents
- Shannon Martin, M.D. and Douglas Martin v Darren Hathaway, M.D. and South Michigan Ophthalmology, P.C.: Opinion and Order For Summary Disposition August 11, 2023; Case No. 2019-110 CB
- Corey Potter v Jesse Potter, Latosha Potter and Simpots Enterprises, LLC: Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Verdict July 13, 2022; Case No. 21-2653
- Strevrep Co. v Myra Seaman: Opinion Ruling Reconsideration December 12, 2017; Case No. 17-1938-CB
- Jordan Building Group, LLC, Tichenor, Inc., and Heath Tichenor v Weather Vane Renovations, Bradford Shell, LLC, Ryan Bradford, Weatherproof Exteriors, LLC, Kristopher Poag, Architectural Design and Marketing, LLC, Richard Schuemann, and Rick Fett: Opinion Ruling Reconsideration August 15, 2017; Case No. 2017-1406-CB
- Battle Creek Real Estate Development, LLC, Battle Creek Co, LLC v Rite Aid of Michigan, Inc. and PDS-1 Michigan, Inc: Opinion Ruling Reconsideration August 19, 2016; Case No. 15-3449-CK