Magistrates perform marriages at the courthouse in Battle Creek on Thursdays by appointment only (subject to Magistrate availability).
Scheduling: Contact the Traffic Division/Violation Bureau at 269/969-6692 at least one week in advance of the date that you would like to schedule your ceremony. When you call, you will need to provide the following information:
- full names of bride and groom
- phone numbers of bride and groom
- desired wedding date and time
Wedding Day: On the day of the ceremony, you will need to bring the following with you to the courthouse:
- valid State of Michigan marriage license (all copies), with return envelope if provided
- two witnesses 18 years of age or older (Please note: the Court does not provide witnesses.)
- $10.00 marriage fee
When you arrive at the courthouse on your scheduled day, the wedding party will need to check in at the clerk's office (Room G231). You will need to provide the full names (first, middle and last) of your witnesses at that time. Your guests may wait in the Magistrate's waiting area (Room J200).
When you check in at the clerk’s office, you may choose to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID 19 for the individuals to be married and the witnesses. If you choose to present proof of full vaccination, you are exempt from the requirements below. If you are not fully vaccinated from COVID 19 or you choose not to present proof of full vaccination, then you must comply with the following restrictions:
- Masks must be worn at all times while in the Magistrate Hearing Room;
- The Magistrate will perform the ceremony from a safe social distance of no less than six feet.
Your dress may be formal or casual, but please, no beach wear. Photographs may be taken during and after the ceremony.
Upon completion of the ceremony, the married couple, the witnesses and the Magistrate will sign the marriage license. You will be provided a copy of the license and the court will submit the original and any required copies of the license to the County Clerk for official record keeping.
For information about obtaining your marriage license, contact the Calhoun County Clerk's Office at 269-781-0730.