|Address||Calhoun County Justice Center
161 East Michigan Avenue
Battle Creek, Michigan 49014
|Hours||8:00 am - 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
|Elected Official||David E. Gilbert, Prosecuting Attorney|
|Appointed Official||Jim Jordan, Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
The Prosecuting Attorney is an elected official with a four-year term as provided by the Michigan Constitution. Elections occur at the time of the Presidential election, on the partisan ballot. The elected county Prosecuting Attorney is independent of the Michigan Attorney General.
The Prosecuting Attorney's office is responsible for a wide array of functions for the County, including:
- act as chief law enforcement official for the County.
- review, authorize and prosecute violations of felony and misdemeanor criminal laws of the State of Michigan and County ordinances committed inside the County.
- authorize and prosecute felony and misdemeanor juvenile delinquency offenses.
- represent the County in criminal matters before the District and Circuit Courts; Juvenile delinquency, parental neglect and miscellaneous probate matters in Family Court, and appeals in the Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.
- advise the Department of Human Services on child abuse and neglect petitions, and actions to terminate parental rights.
- attend contested mental health commitment hearings.
- presides at the monthly Concealed Weapon Permit Board, unless he or she opts off for the remainder of their term. In that case the county board appoints a certified firearms instructor to replace the Prosecuting Attorney.
- file and prosecute actions to establish paternity.
- file actions to establish family support orders.
- represent and advise the County Board of Commissioners and other County departments on legal matters.
General Criminal Law Information
- Prosecuting Attorneys Coordinating Council
- Michigan Attorney General
- Inmate Information/Michigan Department of Corrections
- Sex Offender Registry
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- S.A.F.E. Place
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Michigan Coalition Against Domestic Violence