Frequently Asked Questions


On this page, you will find a number of Frequently Asked Questions relating to Jury Service.  To view the answer to a particular question, please click on the question.

ArrowWhy was I selected?

You were selected at random, in accordance with state law, from a list of Calhoun County residents who possess a Michigan State Driver's License and/or a Michigan State Identification Card. This process starts over each year so you may be called multiple years in a row.

ArrowHow do I complete my questionnaire?

Within 10 days you must complete this questionnaire either by replying on-line using your 10-digit Candidate ID and 5-digit zip code.  You may also return your questionnaire to Jury Assembly Room, 161 E. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek, MI 49014.

ArrowWhen do I report?

The Calhoun County jury coordinator updates information every evening for the following day's activities. 

We will contact you by phone, email or text the evening before you are to report using our new Interactive Voice Response system (IVR).

In addition, you may visit our website after 5:00 pm the evening before your jury term begins and continue until your jury terms ends.  You MUST have your 10-digit Candidate ID and your Group Number available.

Should you be selected for a trial, you will follow the instructions of the judge presiding over the trial.

ArrowWhere do I report?

The Jury Assembly Room is located on the 4th floor (room #452) of the Calhoun County Justice Complex, 161 E. Michigan Ave., Battle Creek, MI 49014. 


ArrowWhat do I do in case of any family emergency or illness?

Please notify the Jury Clerk at (269) 969-6533.

ArrowWhat do I do if I need a work slip?

If you need work slips for your employer, one will be provided for you each day in the Jury Assembly Room.

ArrowMust my employer pay me while I'm on jury service?

No.  An employer is NOT required by law to pay employees who are on jury service but many employers do.  You should check with your company's human resources department before serving to see if your company pays your salary for days you are a juror.  If you DO receive your salary while on jury service, you should ask what your employer requires as proof that you served as a juror.

ArrowWhere do I park?

Parking is available at the Calhoun County Justice Complex parking lot. Please enter the parking area off Division Street (M-66) between John Patterson Way and Van Buren Street. Handicap parking is available in this lot. Please use the front entrance to the building.


ArrowI have a conflict or a reason why I cannot serve.  Who do I contact?

The Jury Assembly Room personnel can exempt or excuse a person from service only for certain reasons.  Most requests need accompanying documentation.  Please know that sending in documentation does not automatically mean you are exempted or excused.  If you are not notified that you are exempted or excused, please address your concerns to the judge and attorneys, if you are chosen during the Voir Dire process in the courtroom.

Reason Docs Needed
Age 70 or older None - you may opt-out at age 70
Deceased None
Felony Yes - Judgment of Sentence
Reason Docs Needed
Moved out of county/state Copy of address change on your Driver's License or copy of a utility bill
Served jury duty in the last year Provide date and place of service
Medical/disabled Doctor's note
Not a U.S. citizen Copy of your Visa/Green Card
Nursing a child Complete and submit the Request for Exemption form, along with a note from your doctor
Student or active military Class schedule or signed note from parent
We know that Jury Service may be scheduled at a time that does not work in everyone's busy schedule.  To accommodate our jurors, we allow you to defer your service one per calendar year.  

Call 269-969-6527 or 1-800-385-5926 or visit our website at for important information regarding all requests for excusals, deferrals and disqualifications.
All requests for deferrals, excusals or disqualifications must be made at least ten days before your term begins and must include appropriate documentation.  You will be notified if your request is granted, denied or if your term of service has been rescheduled.  Please note that some requests will only be considered by the trial judge during jury selection.
If you do not receive notifications of your excusal before your term begins, you are required to appear.


ArrowWill I be compensated for my service?

You will be paid a fee of $12.50 per half day and $25.00 per first full day of jury service and $20.00 per half day and $40.00 per full day for each subsequent day of actual attendance, plus round trip mileage between your home and the Calhoun County Justice Center at the rate of $0.10 per mile. You should receive your check approximately four weeks after the month in which you served. Checks are mailed to the address on your summons. If this address is incorrect, please notify the jury clerk.

ArrowWhat items are prohibited inside the Justice Complex?

Entrance to the building subjects you to a search by Sheriff Department personnel.  Please make sure you do not have any items that may be considered a weapon, including pocket knives. CELL PHONES ARE ALSO PROHIBITED.  If you are found in possession of any prohibited items, you will be asked to return them to your car.

ArrowAre there certain rules for jurors?
  • Please wear your juror badge at all times while you are serving.
  • Do NOT consume any alcoholic beverages or illegal substances during lunch and/or breaks.
  • Follow judges instructions provided in the courtroom.
ArrowWhat should I wear?

Please dress in "business casual" attire while serving as a juror.  Please do not wear tee-shirts, shorts, halter tops, jeans with holes or hats into the courtroom.  Revealing clothing is to be avoided.  Please avoid over-powering perfumes or cologne.

ArrowIs food or beverage allowed in the Jury Assembly Room?

Coffee, tea and water will be provided.  With your jury badge you may bring in your own food and beverages as long as they are covered and contained.  A refrigerator and microwave are available for your use.  An approximate one hour lunch break will be provided.  Lunch will be at your own expense unless you are told otherwise.

ArrowWho do I contact if I am in need of securing an accommodation under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA)?

You may contact the jury office directly at 269-969-6533 or for assistance.

Calhoun County, 315 West Green Street, Marshall, MI 49068 | Phone: (269) 781-0700 | Employees Only Contact Webmaster Translate this page:
© 2018 Calhoun County. All Rights Reserved|Design and development by|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions|Site Map|Acrobat|Intranet|RSS |Facebook