FAQ Property Tax Process


Frequently Asked Questions:

How much do I owe for my delinquent taxes?
In order for any staff to accurately give payoff amounts for your taxes you must first provide us with you property number that is shown on your tax bill or your delinquent tax statement. We do not guarantee payoffs based on property address.
What should I do if I didn’t receive a tax bill?
You should contact your local assessor to change your address. The County Treasurer's mailing address file for delinquent taxes comes from the local city or township. If you know that you have a delinquent tax, you should also contact our office at (269) 781-0807.
I did not receive a tax bill; can you waive penalty and interest?
No! The County Treasurer does not have any authority to waive penalties or interest. State law holds the taxpayer responsible to know that taxes are paid on time (whether or not taxpayer has received a tax bill or notification of delinquent taxes due).
When are taxes due?
Summer taxes are usually due mid August to mid September (tax bills sent early July). Winter taxes are usually due by mid February (tax bill sent early December). All taxes become delinquent to the County Treasurer on March 1st, with additional penalties and interest. Other costs are added at the time of forfeiture.
Can I make payments on my delinquent taxes?
Yes, as long as the all taxes, interest, penalties, and fees are paid in full for that particular tax by the foreclosure deadline March 31st (two years after it has reached our office).
Can I pay with a personal check?
Yes, the check should be payable to the Calhoun County Treasurer.
Can I pay by credit card?
Yes, you may pay taxes by credit card by calling the Government Payment System, toll free/24 hours at 1-888-604-7888, Pay Location Code 1898. There is a 5% phone service fee (minimum $5.00) or a 3.0% internet service fee (minimum $3.00) for this service and will be added to the amount of fees due. The information they will request is your property number, property owner/taxpayer’s name, property address, phone number, your charge card information, and the amount owing/paying. If the amount owed does not match amount paying, payment will NOT be posted unless it is specifically stated that it is a partial payment.
Who owns a particular property?
Please refer to the local unit in which the property is located.
What is the assessed value of my home?
Please contact your local assessor for current information.

Public Act 123:

If I don’t pay my taxes, will I lose my property?
Yes. The new law allows taxes to be delinquent for only two years. Once the Judgment of Foreclosure is final, the County Treasurer has clear title to your property. To learn more about the foreclosure process please click here.
What does it mean to be in "forfeiture"?
Forfeiture is the first step in the foreclosure process. A property (tax) that has been delinquent for one (1) year is considered forfeited. At this time, the interest rate goes from 1% per month to 1.5% per month back to the date the taxes became delinquent. Currently a $175 title search fee is added along with two $10.00 recording fees (one to record the forfeiture and one to record the redemption) and also a $50 Physical Inspection Fee.
What happens after my property is in forfeiture?
After a property has been in forfeiture for one year, it enters the foreclosure process.  For example, properties with 2012 and/or prior tax owing will foreclose on March 31st 2015.
What happens after my property is foreclosed upon? How do I redeem to get it back?
Foreclosure is Final! You cannot get your property back after it has been foreclosed. Once the Circuit Court enters the judgment of foreclosure on March 31st the redemption rights expire.
Calhoun County, 315 West Green Street, Marshall, MI 49068 | Phone: (269) 781-0700 | Employees Only Contact Webmaster Translate this page:
© 2018 Calhoun County. All Rights Reserved|Design and development by Americaneagle.com|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions|Site Map|Acrobat|Intranet|RSS |Facebook